Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Pitter-patter of Not-So-Little Feet

I hear that one of the best ways to keep yourself motivated at running is by keeping a log. Journal. Diary. Whatevs. So here I am.

A little introduction:

I started running a couple of months ago because I was feeling stressed over.. oh, pretty much everything. 2010 had been a very difficult year for me, especially the first and last Quarters of it, and unsurprisingly, by the end of the year the stress had pretty much mounted to unmanageable levels despite efforts to tackle all stressors in logical & pragmatic ways.

So, what's a girl to do when she couldn't take anymore? I ran. Well, not in the "away" sense, but I went to the nearby public park, and I ran.

For the last decade, I had always been an intermittent gymmer. I go, all gung-ho and rawr-ing, determined to be the new virtue of Ms. Health & Fitness! Then a few months later I stop out of sheer laziness. At my peak (a whole 2 years of consistent gymming- astonishing by my standards) I was pulling decent cardio work on the treadmill, but well.. after one excuse to many, that sort of went downhill as well.

I can't say what it was that made me decide to deal with stress by running. Perhaps it was a sub-conscious desire to escape? I don't know. All I know is that I did. And I did it outdoors. And I loved it.

And here's another funny thing. I never liked exercising outdoors. Too many bugs, dirt, heat, humidity, unpredictable weather, sun, no convenient toilet breaks, blah blah blah, the list went on and on. And I will never know what inspired me to run outdoors this time, but I did. And I loved it.

I suppose the stress-relief benefits were only brief motivators for running. I wondered, what would happen when I stopped being so stressed? Knowing me, I'd probably just stop running again. This time, I knew I didn't want that. Since I started running my emotions were steadier, stress levels were lower, I could breathe easier, I felt less lethargic, I slept better. I felt healthier. I felt happier. I didn't want it to end but knowing me, I figured it was just a matter of time until it would.

Then the Terry Fox Run happened. A friend invited me to run with her and being a beginner runner (who then was just barely able to clear 3km in one exhausting hour, with only a sliver of breath to spare), I was dubious. When she told me it was a route just slightly over 2km, I thought I would give it a shot. So, to the Terry Fox Run KL 2010 I went.

A swarm of people in blue greeted me at the venue; most unexpected. I think I heard later some 3,000 people turned up.. on foot, with bicycles, skates, prams, even wheelchairs. I felt.. humbled. We took off in a huddled mass. So much for my expectations for a run! Lol.. We meandered and jogged our easy way to the finish line.. and to my surprise, we covered it in less than 30 minutes! And it wasn't even real running, nor was it an arduous route but what I felt crossing the finish line.. it was exhilarating. It was.. amazing. It was AWESOME!

That was 07 November 2010. Clichéd as it sounds I suppose Terry Fox inspired me too, like he did millions of others. His resilience, the beauty of his strength of spirit, his unfailing determination to make a difference. I was bit that day, and I was bit hard!

So here I am, with three runs all signed up for: the 10K in the BARENO Run 2011 in March, the 11K in the Energizer Night Race in April.. and the half-marathon (yes, all 21km of it!) in the Sundown Marathon Singapore 2011 on 28 May!

At this point in my running, the Sundown seems insane.

Insane.Exhilarated.Intimidated.Inspired.

But et voila: this is me. And this is my story.

3 comments:

  1. hey downhill is good ok. with a bike. and a helmet. safety first. and yay yay go cik jas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to get my lazy bum from the couch...desperately need the exercise, yet no motivation (or the usual alasan : takde masa..) :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jas, just found this blog. *like*

    21km in SD42 is not insane, you have lots of time to prep. By say, mid June, you should be able to run 10km quite easily and you should do at least 15km twice. No need to do 21km prior to the day itself. I ran my first 21km on my 4th run and it was a blast.

    I hope to see you in upcoming races. All the best and stay away from injury ok!

    ReplyDelete